How NHS prescriptions work
See a GP online in minutes
Create an account or sign into your existing account, then book an appointment on a day and time to suit you.
Get the help and advice you need
Ask all of the questions on your mind, and if appropriate, your GP will prescribe medication during your consultation.
Pick up from your local pharmacy
Collect your prescription and medication from your designated pharmacy the very same day, sometimes even within the hour.
What won't we prescribe?
Providing safe care to our patients is our highest priority. Our doctors always have your best interests in mind, and only recommend the treatment that they believe to be the most suitable.
What types of medication will Push Doctor never prescribe?
We regularly review the medications that we prescribe on our service, making sure we meet best practice guidelines and provide safe care to all of our patients.
Currently, we are unable to prescribe the following medication:
- Medication that is controlled or could be misused, including some strong painkillers, calmatives and sleeping tablets.
- Medication that does not have a license for use in the UK.
- Medication that requires prescribing and monitoring by a specialist.
- Antibiotics for the treatment of dental infections and sexual health conditions.
- Medication that needs to be administered by injection, with the exception of adrenaline auto-injector devices (like an EpiPen), and preparations for the management of diabetes mellitus.
What specific medications will your GPs never prescribe?
Common medications we get asked to prescribe, but won't, in line with the Health and Social Care Act (2012) include:
- Sleeping tablets
- Natural thyroid extracts
- PrEP and PEP (pre and post-exposure prophylaxis for HIV)
Can you issue repeat prescriptions?
We currently don't offer a repeat prescription service, but you may be able to obtain a prescription for regular medication after a consultation with one of our doctors.
What can I expect from an online prescription?
With electronic prescriptions, you don't need a paper prescription from your GP – just head straight to your designated pharmacy to pick up your medication.
With this approach to prescriptions, we reduce the paper generated by the consultation process – reducing paper usage overall and ensuring that waste is kept to a minimum.
Your electronic prescription will be only be seen by your Push Doctor GP, and your designated pharmacy. Electronic prescriptions are every bit as secure as paper prescriptions.