There are some words you simply don’t expect to see next to each other. However, the creamy texture of avocado makes it the perfect dairy substitute for many vegan treats, including this indulgent fudge recipe.
Our chefs have created a simple recipe that uses just three ingredients. The bananas provide natural sweetness and the texture is so smooth that you’ll barely be able to tell the difference. We’ve used dark chocolate, which studies have shown can actually be quite good for you - in moderation, of course.
The only hard bit is not scoffing the lot in one go!
- 2 avocados
- 2 bananas
- 250g dark chocolate
How to make
- Melt the chocolate slowly in a microwave. Do this in short bursts, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Blend the avocado and banana in a food processor.
- Mix in the melted chocolate.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and pour the mixture into it.
- Leave in the fridge for around two and a half hours, until firm. Alternatively, you can leave the mixture in the freezer for a shorter time.
- Cut into squares and store in the fridge until to ensure the fudge doesn’t melt.
Why is avocado good for you?
The thing most people know about avocado is that it contains plenty of ‘healthy’ fats. While we often think of fat as something that should be avoided, it’s actually an essential nutrient that your body needs to survive.
One of the advantages of a vegan diet is that you avoid most of the main sources of saturated fat (such as meat and dairy), which raises your cholesterol and increases your risk of heart disease. The fats found in avocado are the monounsaturated variety, which help to maintain a healthy cholesterol level.
Another health benefit of avocado is that they’re high in Vitamin E. This contributes to healthy skin and eyes, as well as boosting your immune system.
A cool thing about Vitamin E is that if you take in more than your body can use, it will simply store it for later. This means you don’t necessarily have to eat Vitamin E-rich foods every day.
Looking for more vegan recipes?
Our chefs haven’t just focused on sweet treats. There’s a whole range of vegan recipes to try, so just choose your favourites from the selection below.