From your head to your toes, your body plays host to thousands upon thousands of incredible functions - helping you to live your life to the fullest.
And with the average lifespan of someone in the UK rising by an outstanding 10 years since 1970 - to the respectable age of 81 - our bodies have adapted to work harder, for longer.
There’s no doubt that the human body is incredible - and our latest campaign #ItsBodyAmazing celebrates this and the launch of our new memberships programme - which gives you the ability to take control of your health and look after the most amazing thing you own - your body.
Find out why you should be keeping on top of your health with some of these amazing body facts:
- Your blood travels 12,000 miles a day - that’s the same distance as flying from London-Tokyo and back.
- Your heart pumps approximately 200 million litres of blood throughout your body during a lifetime - the equivalent to 1.3 billion cups of tea.
- When resting, your heart still works twice as hard as your legs do when you’re sprinting.
- There are over 100 million 'brain' (nerve) cells in your gut - more than the amount in your spinal cord.
- There IS such a thing as ‘gut instinct’ - your vagus nerve, that lives within the gut, sends fear-triggering signals to the brain.
- We have up to 6lbs of bacteria living inside our body - many of which reside in the gut - the same weight as 2.5 bags of sugar. Luckily, most of this bacteria is good for us!
- The acid found in our stomach is strong enough to burn through your skin, but doesn't because of your stomach lining's protective mucus.
- Your gut is home to up to 95% of the body’s serotonin - that’s the hormone that’s largely responsible for your happiness.
- The human brain sends nerve impulses to the body at a speed of 268 miles/hour - over 9 times faster than Usain Bolt, the world’s fastest man.
- If your brain was spread flat - due to all of its wrinkles - it’d be the same surface area as a pillow.
- The average brain is believed to generate up to 50,000 thoughts per day.
- There are no pain receptors in your brain - and since it can’t feel pain, it means brain surgery can be performed whilst you’re awake and the surgeon can make sure you’re okay.
Our bodies are capable of some amazing things, but sometimes they need a little TLC. Our new membership programme is designed to help you take control of our health - with exclusive access to everything you need to start living and happier, healthier life today.
- Despite fitting neatly inside our ribcage, the surface area of our lungs is roughly the same size of a tennis court.
- Every day, you breathe in 2000 gallons of air - enough to fill a standard swimming pool.
- Your left lung is smaller than the right lung to make room for your heart.
Your bones and muscles
- Over half of all the bones in our body are in our hands and feet - they contain 106 of our body’s 206 bones.
- Muscle movement accounts for 85% of your total body heat - which is why you involuntarily shiver when you're cold.
- You have 600 muscles in your body - and it takes 200 of them to take just one step.
- Muscles make up 40% of your total body weight - and weigh much more than fat, which is why you eventually see a weight gain, not loss, when regularly training at the gym.
All bodies are amazing - are you making the most of yours? Here at Push Doctor, we’re passionate about helping you live a healthier, happier life - and our expert team helping us do this includes GPs, nutritionists and exercise physiologists. And, as a member, you could have exclusive access to their advice and support.